Thursday 22 January 2009

Goblin Pie/pudding/whatever - 22nd January 09





Up until a few years ago, Goblin Pies were something that I'd wandered past the supermarket shelf of many a time and thought nothing of them. But on closer inspection, they are quite odd. For a start, they are miniscule. No right minded individual could be sated by one whole pie on its own. You could quite happily stuff a Fray Bentos pie down your craw and go about your day - these just seem to be singular lumps of stodge to gobble down for who knows what reason. Even as part of a meal, you'd get more out of the veg than you would these. They seem merely to exist to say you had some meat pie.






As for the look, Goblin seems to echo back to the days of wholesome food advertised with big solid lettering on the side, possibly with a rosy cheeked maiden on the side glowing from the goodness contained within. You can imagine soldiers marching off to the trenches armed with tins of the stuff to gobble down on a lonely night in a Ypres bombhole. Or possibly it could be used as a projectile to throw at the opposing trench a few metres away in the hope of making contact with the Boche cranium, and if it missed they'd maybe eat it and die bent double with food poisoning.






As you can see on the front, it can be microwaved in 90 seconds but as I kick it old school (and we had a power cut) I went for the boil in 20 minutes option. During said boil, part of the pie started glurping out the sides where I'd pierced hole to let out the steam. It wasn't pretty, but at least it didn't smell.




Finally, for the great unveiling:





A fairly unsuccessfuly exit from the can.

Taste

I don't know which was worse, the feeling of the rubbery damp pastry on the tongue or generic meaty taste of the muddy filling being reluctantly drawn down into my digestive tract. There's an aftertaste that will stay with you a good while longer than you'd like. It wasn't that surprising, as in this case you really do get for what you pay for.

Price

I lost the receipt but I think it was about 40p odd from Morrisions. For those interested, there's a steak and kidney version. Also, the website advertises a budget range which tastes like god knows what.

5 comments:

  1. Jeepers. That looks really nasty.

    Get well soon, dude.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand everybody has there own taste preference, but I must state that for quite a few years now my family have eaten goblin puddings and enjoyed every one of them and has never been ill when eaten them. I have been trying to purchase them for a number of weeks now and have tried all the major supermarkets and have not been able to find any on the shelves so if you know of where I can purchase them please let me now via this comment service Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ann, ASDA sell them. I saw them only a few weeks ago and remembered them from my childhood. They really are grim and I wouldn't ever buy one but each to their own..........

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a massive fan of these pies. I've been noshing them since I was a kid / as far back as I can remember - I've got a love of synthesised and processed food and these just seem to have a unique taste all of their own.

    I put these in the 'comfort food' bracket.

    Yes, they are small - but here's a wacky idea that seems to work - have 2 of them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Double pie, two scoops of instant mash, mushy peas- meal.
    My mate bought me one as a jokey stocking filler from poundland, I'm just waiting for it to cook now. We'll see how it goes.

    ReplyDelete